Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Bathroom Remodel Step 3: Mirror

I've been framed!

OK, not me, but the fabulously un-exciting mirror in my bathroom got a new look!  It went from being a dull spot on the landscape:
To being an exciting highlight!
For this project you need:
  • Molding (I used two 8 feet pieces at $7 each)
  • Liquid Nails for Mirrors $5
  • Miter Saw (already owned)
  • Spray Paint (already had leftover from painting our fabric shade and our table)
The molding we used was a pretty basic shape- flat, curved it, a little detail on the sides.  You can sorta see the shape of it from the ends:
I measured the length of all four sides of the mirror (well only two sides since it's a rectangle), then used the miter saw to cut four pieces of molding to length.  I just cut 45 degree angles on each end of each piece, with the longest side being the length of the side of the mirror.

Then it was time to spray paint.  I did a layer of solid black and then followed it up with the dark walnut.  So, the end color was really just dark walnut.  I just thought I might be a little crazy and mix up the colors.
PS- a little trick with spray painting: try to raise the surface up a little so that the edges don't stick to the plastic or cardboard surface.  I stuck some tacks in the back to help keep it up.
After all the molding is completely dry- you might want/need to wait two days or longer to allow it to full cure outside and to allow time for touch up spots to dry- it's time to start gluing!  

This is where Liquid Nails comes in.  This stuff is literally super awesome glue, but it's a pain in the you-know-what to get out.  For a super excitable and "now-now-now" kind of person like me, it's like torture waiting for the glue to sloooooowly move down the tube and then when you squeeze the stuff down with all your might, it just keeps on a-comin' well after you're done, and then all of a sudden you have a pile of wasted glue.

Oh well, I guess that's why everyone was always trying to push the importance of this whole patience concept on to me as a child.  Never really got behind that train!
I wasn't about to take this sucker off the wall to glue it on a flat surface.  I just decided to try my luck with gravity and hoped it stayed up.
I started with the bottem peice and let that dry for a day before tackling the next one.  It stayed up perfectly well on it's own (seriously awesome glue), but I still stuck some big paint cans in front to try to keep it in place in caes it fell.

Luckily, it didn't!  So the next day, I tried a vertical side piece, and like magic, it just stayed put right away. 
Now for a little tangent.  I forgot to mention this earlier, but when spray painting, you'll also want to tackle the back edge of the shorter side, because it reflects back in the mirror at you and you see the unfinished side.  Trust me, you really do.  I didn't think so until I held the first edge up and saw for myself.  

Unfortunately, on the second piece, I saw that I had accidentally spray painted the larger edge instead of the smaller, and by the time I noticed, the glue was already partly dried.  Boo.
See how you can see the unfinished edge on the left side but not on the bottem?  Oh well, it's hopefully only noticable to me and not to the general masses that I have tramping through my bathroom on a daily basis.

On the third and final day of gluing, I went ahead and put up both of the remaining pieces.  A couple hours of drying time later and voila!
Like a charm!  I'm happy to add a bit of glam to the bathroom!   It's a small do-over, but it makes a world of difference to me.  I can't wait to start improving more areas of the bathroom!


  1. I should have known that you'd go from re-arranging your room every other day (in junior high...) to redoing condos!!

  2. I have a few bathroom projects to tackle in the new year. This is such a good idea! I didn't know they make liquid nails for mirrors. I am pinning for safe keeping and I'm about to become your newest follower.


I love hearing your comments! Thanks for stopping by!